If you have been affected by the recent severe weather, your safety is the most important thing. Put the first aid of your family and neighbors first, property second. Be very careful around any storm damage, downed power lines, and contact emergency officials and your utility company right away if needed.
If the damage is to your property, you may have questions about what to do first and what is covered by your home insurance. Our FAQs can help. Keep in mind, all policies vary and yours has specific coverage tailored just for you. Your independent agent is your best resource for more specific answers with your coverage in mind.
We are also here to help! When severe weather comes to Virginia, we're here around the clock, from start to finish, assisting our members. Depending on the impact of an event, we could be handling high volumes of claims. You are important to us and we will be making every effort to assist each claim in a timely manner. We appreciate your patience.
If you think you might have a claim here are the first steps you can take:
- Contact your local independent agent
- Call our hotline (877-968-7252) and report your claim or make an online claim in our member center.
- If your car is flooded, call roadside assistance if needed (800-913-8847), take pictures, and report your claim.
- Make minimal temporary repairs to prevent further damage, take photos and/or videos
- Document damage to your property using a home inventory.
- If your home is unlivable, find safe shelter with a friend, family member, or hotel.
- Keep all receipts for lodging, food, clothing, gas, and other necessities.
- Do not make permanent repairs until approved by your claims adjuster
- We don't recommend hiring repair companies that drive through your neighborhood
- Hire only reputable, licensed, and certified contractors
- Discuss specific claim questions with your agent/claims adjuster
24/7 Claims Hotline: 1-877-968-7252
24/7 Roadside Assistance: 1-800-913-8847
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have Emergency Roadside Assistance on my auto policy?
Yes, all NNINS auto policies have 24/7 emergency roadside assistance. Call 1-800-913-8847.
Will my auto insurance policy cover damage to my car if a tree falls on it?
Does a homeowners policy cover flood damage?
Standard home insurance does not include flood coverage. However, if you have secondary water damage to your home due to a tree down on your house or roof damage, it may be covered. It's best to speak with your independent agent.
I just went grocery shopping and I lost power. All my cold food is spoiled. Is my grocery bill covered?
Yes, with our homeowners enhancement endorsement. That's a fancy term for coverage that goes above and beyond. Take a picture of your refrigerator with the door open before you dispose of the spoiled food and hang on to your grocery receipt if possible.
What if my neighbor’s tree fell on my house, or my tree fell on my neighbor's property? Whose insurance pays for damages?
The short answer is it's complicated. Both you and your neighbor should report the damage to respective insurance companies and allow the adjuster to review the claim. Learn more here.
My home is not livable. What should I do?
Report your claim first. Call our 24/7 Claims Hotline: 1-877-968-7252 or your local agent.
Then, if it's safe, secure the premises such as boarding up windows, tarp your roof, etc. to prevent further damage. Take photos/videos of damage if possible. Communicate with agent/claims adjuster for further instruction. Be sure to keep all receipts for temporary living space, gas, food, clothing, etc. Start preparing an inventory of damaged personal property. Do not discard any property until instructed by your claims adjuster and save all receipts and invoices.
We hope you haven't experienced damage but if you have, we'll help you get back on your feet. Most of all, stay safe! Remember to never drive through flooded roads and stay away from floodwater.