On July 8, flash flooding ravaged Northern Virginia, D.C. and Maryland. This historic deluge unloaded up to 4 inches of rain in some areas in 1 hour causing historic flooding to major roads during the morning rush hour. Unfortunately, some folks dangerously drove their cars through quickly flooding roadways. Never do this: turn around, don't drown!
The good news is comprehensive car insurance covers this type of damage, as well as damage from things like hail, fire, theft, fallen trees, and deer collisions. This is a separate coverage from your collision and liability, so check with your independent agent to make sure you have it. You can also give us a call!
Here's what to do:
- If you were driving and the engine failed after you drove through flood water, resist the urge to try and restart it. This may cause further damage to the engine. Even if your car did start, chances are you may experience problems days or even weeks after the event.
- If your car was flooded while it was parked, do not try and start it even after flood waters recede.
- Take pictures and save them on your phone or use our app.*
- Have your car towed to a reputable mechanic. The electrical system, oil, transmission components, and cylinders need to be checked.
NNINS Members call our 24/7 Roadside Assistance: 1-800-913-8847
- If you have comprehensive coverage, you can call your insurance company and file a claim.
- If the interior of your car got wet, it needs to be dried quickly using a wet vac, fans and dehumidifiers to prevent growth of mold. Speak to your mechanic about expediting this process.
After you've begun the claims process and a mechanic has inspected your car, the extent of the flood damage will be determined. During that time, you will have a rental car to use if you opted for that coverage on your policy. Your adjuster will weigh the costs to make repairs against the value of your car. Unfortunately, this type of damage sometimes can result in a total loss depending on the type of car you have and how old it is. In that case, you would receive a settlement check for the value of your car to put towards a replacement.