On July 8, flash flooding ravaged Northern Virginia, D.C., and Maryland. This historic deluge unloaded up to 4 inches of rain in some areas in 1 hour, causing historic flooding to major roads during the morning rush hour. Unfortunately, some folks dangerously drove their cars through quickly flooding roadways. Never do this: turn around, don't drown!
The good news is comprehensive car insurance covers this type of damage, as well as damage from things like hail, fire, theft, fallen trees, and deer collisions. Comprehensive is a separate coverage from collision and liability, so check with your independent agent to make sure you have it. You can also give us a call!
Here's what to do:
- If you were driving and the engine failed after you drove through floodwater, resist the urge restart it. Doing so may cause further damage to the engine. Even if your car did start, you might experience problems days or even weeks after the event.
- If your car flooded while parked, do not try and start it even after floodwaters recede.
- Take pictures and save them on your phone or use our app.*
- Have your car towed to a reputable mechanic. The electrical system, oil, transmission components, and cylinders should be checked.
- If you have comprehensive coverage, you can call your insurance company and file a claim.
- If your car's interior got wet, it needs to be dried quickly using a wet vac, fans, and dehumidifiers to prevent mold growth. Speak to your mechanic about expediting this process.
NNINS 24/7 Roadside Assistance: 1-800-913-8847
NNINS 24/7 Claims Hotline: 1- 877-968-7252
Use the NNINS On-The-Go app available for IOS
After you've begun the claims process and a mechanic has inspected your car, the extent of the flood damage will be determined. During that time, you will have a rental car to use if you opted for that coverage on your policy. Your adjuster will weigh the costs to make repairs against the value of your vehicle. Unfortunately, this type of damage can sometimes result in a total loss depending on the type of car you have and how old it is. In that case, you would receive a settlement check for your car's value to put towards a replacement. Either way, we're here to help you get back on your feet.