Do You Have Severe Weather Claim Questions?

By Nancy B
August 17, 2022
Tree on Car_Cropped

Severe weather events can be scary and destructive. In the aftermath, you may have questions about your home insurance coverage, or car insurance coverage, and the next steps to take. Your local agent is one of your best resources for sound advice and we are here for you too. 

Safety and Family First  

If you have been affected by the recent severe weather, your safety is the most important thing to us. We ask that you put the first aid and welfare of your family and neighbors first and your home insurance claim second. Be very careful around any storm damage or downed power lines, and contact emergency officials and your utility company right away if needed. Remember to never drive through flooded roads and stay away from floodwater. 



If you have damage to your property, you may have questions about what to do first and what is covered by your home insurance. Our severe weather claims FAQs can help. Keep in mind, that all policies vary and everyone has different coverage, limits, and deductibles. Your independent agent is your best resource for more specific answers about weather damage with your coverage in mind. 

Beware of scammers!

Don't let something too good to be true cost you. Scammers will go door to door in hard-hit areas and neighborhoods offering debris removal or roof tarping services & ask for cash upfront. More often than not, you've paid and they do not return. Protect yourself by getting a written agreement & discuss payment options after services are complete.

First steps you can take if you have property damage

We are here to help! When severe weather comes to Virginia, we're here around the clock, from start to finish, assisting our members. Depending on the impact of an event, we could be handling high volumes of claims. You are important to us and we will make every effort to assist each claim promptly. We appreciate your patience.

File a Northern Neck Home Insurance claim one of three ways:

If you have damage to your home or property:

  • Make safety your top priority.
  • Shut off your home's main power or shut off your main water supply if needed. Have an electrician check the house before turning the power back on.
  • Take wide and close-up photos and videos before making minimal temporary repairs to prevent further damage.
  • Document interactions and save emails.
  • Report your claim.
  • Document damage to your property using a home inventory.
  • If your home is unlivable, find safe shelter with a friend, family member, or hotel.
  • Hold off on major repairs until they are approved by your claims adjuster.
  • We recommend hiring repair reputable Virginia-licensed and certified home contractors.
  • Ask for a detailed invoice from your contractor distinguishing labor charges and materials.
  • Use a credit card or check for any payments you make.
  • Keep all receipts for lodging, food, clothing, gas, and other necessities.
  • Discuss specific claim questions with your agent and claims adjuster. 
  • Stay in contact with your adjuster and keep up with requested documentation, deadlines, and any other requirements. 
  • If your car is flooded, take pictures, and report your comprehensive car insurance claim.

Severe Weather Claim FAQs

Will my auto insurance policy cover damage to my car if a tree falls on it? 

Most severe weather damages to your car are covered if you purchased comprehensive coverage after you have paid your deductible. 

Does a homeowners policy cover flood damage?

Standard home insurance does not include flood coverage. However, if you have secondary water damage to your home due to a tree down on your house or roof damage, it may be covered. Speak to your independent agent to see what your policy covers.

I had to go to a hotel. Is the cost covered by my home insurance?

Yes, the cost of a hotel room can be covered by your home insurance if your home has been damaged by severe weather and is unlivable. There is no coverage, however, if the only issue is a lack of electricity. Keep your receipt pending confirmation the home is uninhabitable by your claims adjuster as additional living expense coverage and you will be reimbursed.

I just went grocery shopping and I lost power. All my cold food is spoiled. Is my grocery bill covered?

Yes, with our homeowners enhancement endorsement. That's a fancy term for coverage that goes above and beyond. Take a picture of your refrigerator with the door open before you dispose of the spoiled food and hang on to your grocery receipt for replacement supplies.

What if my neighbor’s tree fell on my house, or my tree fell on my neighbor's property? Whose insurance pays for damages? 

The short answer is- it's complicated. Both you and your neighbor should report the damage to respective insurance companies and allow the adjuster to review the claim. After you take pictures, you can remove the tree or have it removed to prevent additional damage. Be sure to get an itemized receipt on the vendor’s letterhead for reimbursement consideration. If the tree removal
professional estimates more than $2500 for tree removal, please wait for your claim adjuster's approval.

My home is not livable. What should I do? 

Stay safe! Call local officials and utility professionals. Report your claim on our 24/7 Claims Hotline: 1-877-968-7252 or with your local agent.

Then, if it's safe, secure the premises such as boarding up windows, tarp your roof, etc. to prevent further damage. Take photos/videos of damage if possible. Communicate with your agent/claims adjuster for further instruction. Be sure to keep all receipts for temporary living space, gas, food, clothing, etc.  Start preparing an inventory of damaged personal property. Do not discard any property until instructed by your claims adjuster and save all receipts and invoices.

We hope you haven't experienced damage. If you have, we'll help you get back on your feet. Most of all, stay safe! 


Want to learn more about coverage options? Learn more about homeowners insurance in Virginia and how we can help you. We also have more blog posts about how to prepare for severe weather and how to prevent damage to protect yourself and your family.

Learn more about homeowners insurance in Virginia >

NNINS Blog Home >